Unlike many so-called “gastro-pubs” our main bar is still the heart of this historic country pub; farm workers, dry-stone wallers and retired village elders supping pints alongside ramblers, cyclists and families enjoying a day trip or holiday in the glorious White Peak countryside.
A warming log fire at one end adds to the feel of “a home from home”. Traditional pub games are available and there is a dart board, which sees use in tournaments on certain evenings.
There is another fire in the smaller snug, which has a more intimate atmosphere, presided over by a stuffed buzzard and lively paintings by local artist Lynne Wilkinson. The deep pink, cow-themed wall paper is an a-moosing talking point over the ancient stone fireplace. An interesting feature just outside: Over the now blocked-up entrance to this, the oldest part of the current pub, is the inscription 1619, with initials H.G. and E.G. These are thought to have been Humphrey and Elizabeth Goodwin, listed as freeholders in the parish in 1633.
Beyond the main bar is a pool room, with a full-sized, quality table and further seating; this has its own serving hatch accessing the rear of the bar.
Food of all kinds is served throughout, as of course are the wide variety of lagers, beers, real ales and other drinks on offer.